Sunday, February 5, 2012

Challenges and Identity


Im guessing most people who read my blog (if in fact anyone does *wink*), have already read this. For those who haven't, its an article I wrote about the challenges of being an lgbt Peace Corps volunteer in rural Paraguay. I was hesitant to put the link on my blog incase it became some sort of security issue, however I think that is incredibly unlikely. Plus, as I explain in my little essay, the stress of being closeted at site is enough. I dont want to censer and second guess my self in other facets of my life as well.  Plus I want other queer Peace Corps volunteers or future volunteers to have an idea of what their life might be like.  The reality is, there is very little information out there.
Ironically, having to be closeted in my day to day life has made my sexuality a more central part of my identity that it ever was before. The very need to hide who I am has made me relies how important that part of me is.
I have lots more to say on this, but for now Ill just leave you with the link to the article, and adorable photos from the pre-school graduation. The kids were dancing in boy-girl pairs, and then they were told to change partners... so most of them went to their best friends, resulting in same-sex pairs. Adorable.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Fiona! I am from Paraguay. I am sorry to hear you have to stay in the closet, but you are doing a great job for those people in the campo.

    ReplyDelete